Dear Colleagues

Professor Jack Whitehead suggested that I join this list and leave a message about our work. Myself, Dr Marlena Krueger and Professor Izak Broere (University of Johannesburg) have established a collaborative network involving leaders of eLearning in 14 South African Universities. The key objective was to share practices and cooperate in relation to challenges that were of mutual interest. To that end, colleagues with eLearning leadership responsibilities engaged in a process of self-evaluation and review of their instiutional contexts againsta a framework of 'lenses' which we derived. The data was then used to matricise/group them together based on matches that emerged. This has resulted in  colloquia for the whole group and ongoing communications in the smaller groups. The last colloquium convened  at HELTASA in 2009. Dr Krueger and I are currently pursuing research into the experiences of participants in this 2 year project  which has not received any direct funding, yet seems to have sustained and is valued by participants. Our interest is in what has motivated colleagues and to see if we may learn more about how such collaborations could be better developed in the future. A short but sweet summary for now. I do hope to hear from some of you in the future who may be interested to know more about this.

Best wishes

Professor Mark Schofield
Dean of Teaching and Learning Development
Academic Director, the SOLSTICE Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Director of the Centre for Learning and Teaching Research
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Edge Hill University
St Helens Road
Ormskirk