   Date:     Friday 12 November 2010  at 3pm
   Location: 4312 JCMB

   Frank Coolen (University of Durham)

   "Nonparametric predictive inference for lifetime data"

  Abstract

Nonparametric predictive inference (NPI) is based on only few
assumptions, enabled by the use of lower and upper probabilities to
quantify uncertainty. We give a brief overview of NPI for real-valued
observations, including the way that NPI deals with right-censored data
(providing a predictive alternative to the well-known Kaplan-Meier
estimator). We will consider comparison of groups of lifetime data and
also NPI for data resulting from competing risks. (Some information on
NPI is available from www.npi-statistics.com)

   Tea and coffee will be available after the seminar in the Mathematics
   Common Room (5212).

   The webpage for the seminar:

   http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~nbochkin/StatisticsSeminar.html

--
Dr Natalia Bochkina
Lecturer in Statistics

School of Mathematics
King’s Buildings
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ

Tel: 0131 650 8597

Email:    [log in to unmask]
Webpage:  http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~nbochkin/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

SIGNOFF allstat