Hi Helen,

An interesting discussion here. I am copying the content of an e-mail sent
out by the Access Association London including some details and links for
the new EU directive details which became law in 2009 allowing 'enclosed'
platform lifts to offer a 'hold to travel' control or not. Hope these are of
help.

Below is some information about new directives on the operation of platform
lifts.

The European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the
European Union decided that platform lifts and stairlifts fall under the
jurisdiction of the Machinery Directive 98/37/EC and will also fall under
the new amended Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.   The Machinery Directive
98/37/EC was replaced by the amended Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC on 29
December 2009.

This directive is available at:

http://www.hs-compliance.com/uploaded/documents/Revised%20MD%20published%209
-06-2006.pdf

The European Platform and Stairlift Association presentation is available
at:

http://www.epsa.eu.com/files/legislation_standards/European%20legislation%20
and%20standards%20for%20platform%20lifts%20and%20stairlifts.ppt#397,1,Slide
<http://www.epsa.eu.com/files/legislation_standards/European%20legislation%2
0and%20standards%20for%20platform%20lifts%20and%20stairlifts.ppt%23397,1,Sli
de%201>  1

The EPSA presentation indicates that

*	a new boarderline to the Lift Directive - Speed maximum 0.15 m/s.
*	hold to run operation inside load carrier if it is not fully
enclosed.
*	automatic travel accepted from inside and outside of platform lifts
if the load carriers are fully enclosed.

Regards

Sue

Sue Pellegrino

Access Consultant

The Access Collaboration Ltd

44 King Street

Canterbury

Kent

CT1 2AJ

t-  01227 781451   Tel & Voice-mail

w- www.aclimited.net

e- [log in to unmask]

     www.facebook.com/accesscollaboration

The Access Collaboration can be followed on Facebook and Twitter for news
and updates:

This email and any attached files are strictly confidential and intended
solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may
contain privileged and confidential information, within the meaning of
applicable law and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy,
distribute, disseminate or take any action in reliance on it. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us as soon as possible and delete this
email. Any part of this email which is purely personal in nature is not
authorised by the Access Collaboration Ltd.

  _____