Liz Mac Namara
Jewish General Hospital
Montreal, Quebec

On 2010-11-29, at 4:05 AM, Reynolds Tim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We have changed to ng/L to get away from all of the decimals.

The cardiologists have suddenly panicked at the large numbers and worry more...  [they don't understand units smaller than £300/hr/private patient]   ;-)

Their main problem was that this was a more sensitive assay [they thought that meant we would be picking up more myocardial infarctions]. It took a very long time for them to understand that sensitivity related to the functional sensitivity of the assay. Once they were told that it meant TnT was now like CK [i.,e can give a measurable value within the normal range], they were even more upset because it ruined their perfect marker [measurable = MI; not measurable = normal]. They do not like it thta they now have to think about how to interpret the result.

TIM

Prof. Tim Reynolds
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
work tel: 01283 511511 ext 4035
work fax: 01283 593064
work email: [log in to unmask]
work URL: www.burtonhospitals.nhs.uk
This e-mail, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems, and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain copy or use this e-mail for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me on 01283 511511 Ext 4035

[Picture of tree not available] Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail