Thanks for the explanation,Dr.Voss.
Toyin

On 26 November 2010 22:07, Angela Voss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Toyin
We certainly do not intend to 'side-step' the question of ontological reality or truth value of the daimonic, but there is always a danger of the 'truth value' being subsumed into 'rational explanation'. We hope this problematic will itself be raised. In addressing manifestation, portrayal and sense-perception of the daimonic, we hope to consider the epistemological issues involved in assessing what 'truth value' might mean in relation to the imaginal, or symbolic realm of human perception.

bw
Angela

Dr Angela Voss
10 Arnold Road
Chartham
Canterbury CT4 7QL

07787 434958
01227 732457

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of toyin adepoju [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 2:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] conference on the Daimonic

Welcome,Dr.Voss.My time at the European and Comparative Literary Studies programme at the University of Kent and with your Cosmology and Divination course in the context of the MA in the Study of Mysticism and Religious Experience,  and the papers I wrote there, are among the highlights of my educational life.

I had championed the Cosmology and Divination programme the course developed into on these fora until I was told the programme had been discontinued.I found that very sad since I very much admire the pedagogical model you were using in that programme, a model I  described on this forum in terms of my understanding of it.

I found I could not reach the call for papers on the www.kent.ac.uk/mythcentre   link but I could on this one:http://www.kent.ac.uk/secl/researchcentres/myth/events/daimonic/cfp.html .

I also reached the Centre for the Study of Myth on this link:http://www.kent.ac.uk/secl/researchcentres/myth/index.html

I find the conference call for papers interesting.It inspires a question   I would like to share.

The question emerges from  the relationship between these three paragraphs  extracted from the call for papers:

"In many traditions the fount of creative vision and the source of divinatory insight is located in an intelligent ‘other’, whether this is termed god, angel, spirit, muse or daimon, or whether it is seen as an aspect of the human imagination and the activation of the ‘unconscious’ in a Jungian sense. This conference is not concerned with ‘proving’ or ‘disproving’ the existence of such beings. Rather, we would invite papers that address the theme of how the ‘numinous other’ is conveyed and depicted, how its voice is heard, how it informs, and has always informed, human experience. We would like to engage the imagination and open up discussion, particularly around the subject ofhow researchers might best approach the study of such marginalised and culturally anomalous visions and experiences, and what their value might be".

To what degree is it possible to extricate the question of the ontological validity of claims of the existence of such a phenomenon  from evaluation of the significance  of its mode of manifestation?How far can discussions of "how its voice is heard, how it informs, and has always informed, human experience" go without addressing the question of in what sense it can be described as real?

True,one could argue that a truism of the Western academy is that,to a large extent, conceptions not definitively asserted by the official world view are to be studied outside the sciences more as examples of human possibility than as efforts to prove whether or not they are factual.In that spirit, anthropologists could be described as studying  the relatively strange beliefs of distant ethnicities without claiming to explore whether or not  these beliefs demonstrate the details of  a universal reality that is binding on  all humans as factual, whether or not any humans  are aware of it.

Would a study of esoteric epistemology,as this conference can be described as being,be fully discharging its duty if it sidesteps this question of the truth value, in an absolute sense,as far as that can be understood, of this conception of an inspirational Other or co-presence with the conventional mind?

Thanks
Toyin