This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Dear Jenny and all,

It just happens that I was thinking about how one would go about
documenting and classifying contemporary objects such as iPhones,
iPods, etc recently and wondered if classification systems such as
SHIC will be updating to accommodate a new class that respects modern
devices' abilities to be multi-functional, e.g. telephone, audio
player and records, video player, game player, messager, etc.

After all, does an iPod share anything in common with a gramophone?

All the best,
Tehmina

--
Dr Tehmina Goskar, MA AMA

http://tehmina.goskar.com/

Research Officer: ESRC History, Heritage, and Urban Regeneration: The
Global and Local Worlds of Welsh Copper
History & Classics
University of Swansea

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.
To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST