From: Jen Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:01:39 +0100
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: Jen Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Post-medieval deer

Dear all,

I am hoping that someone might have some references to deer (both red and fallow) as a status food in the post-medieval period, specifically 15th- 18th century.
I have come across a comment that stated in 16th century britain, venison could not be technically be bought and sold, therefore to be legally obtained, must be hunted.

I was wondering if anyone had any references that discussed this in more detail?

Many thanks

Je Wood

Jennifer Wood MA MIfA
Osteoarchaeology Services
37 Curtis Drive, Heighington, Lincoln. LN4 1GF
www.osteoarchaeologyservices.co.uk