  Hello Kevin,
     I am not aware of directly relevant literature from your area, but
Roel Lauwrier may be able to help. I do know that at Red Bay on coastal
Labrador, Canada, Basque whalers killed and butchered many baleen whales
for the oil from their blubber. Such butchery would look quite different
from that which was designed to retrieve meat, baleen, bone or bone oil.
Trophyism (skull removal) would have a different butchering signature
yet again. Without knowing details (type of mark, location of mark,
orientation of mark, number of marks, ) of the "extensive butchery" you
describe it is difficult to speculate about the purpose of the butchery
or its practice at the time in question. My experience with aboriginal
whaling on Canada's west coast suggests that the purpose was blubber
removal, pectoral flipper removal, head (skull and jaws separately)
removal, then meat/muscle removal, bone (ribs, vertebrae) removal and
viscera and internal fat removal. All of this was done with very fine
cutting edges, although gouging and adzing were used in extracting oil
from bones. You may find some historical documentation in Scandanavian
literature, particularly Norwegian, since they still actively hunt
whales. Perhaps NE United States accounts might be available. The
practices there might mirror fairly closely those in Britain in the same
general time.
Regards,
Greg

--