Howdy do,
It very much depends on

A) the kit - buy well from someone like HP or Dell, servers or blades, rack mounted gear is actually designed to handle long
continual running better than desktops.

B) cluster where possible, better having a cluster of good enough machi|nes with failover than one over spec'd beast that can
still blow a fuse

C) let the thing run, turning on and off shortens the life. Similarly, try not to reboot more than absolutely necessary. I've had
a Solaris MySQL box run for 6 years - 3 past its warranty with only a couple of reboots. Trick with Solaris was to avoid the
patches, great way of killing a box

D) get proper support kit, condtioned UPS, air conditioned rack or room.

E) Plan for growth, 5 years in the web is a lot of history and radical changes, double the memory - usually kind of time-honoured
SAD rules of thumb

Our web presence ran on a small fleet of 6 clustered machines, development envirnoment pushing stuff over via rsync to 5 live
boxes. Whilst the odd bit of kit wobbled, no major probs with the mechanisms + the clustering meant 5 9's uptime even when we were
hit with a DDOS.

Otherwise, try hosting on the cloud or an excellent academic agent like the ULCC, with whom we now host our Moodle and Equella
solutions shorlty to be employed

Best

Steve Nisbet
Learning Resources Manager, LRT, MMU

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments
 you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University's
email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer"