Tyrone,

You are so right!  "Everyone does that which is right in his own eyes."

I must declare an interest in that I promote an ePortfolio system, eFolio.

However, I am more interested in promoting a good understanding of
ePortfolio practice.  ePortfolios are used or abused in many different ways
and in many cases are almost self-defeating in that they are institutionally
based.  This immediately raises a problem of portability that
'interoperability' does not really address.

Several years ago I was researching VLEs for a report for Becta and
discovered that there are over 40+ VLEs available for UK educators and yet
most FE/HE institutions go for one of my least favourites!  One of the
outcomes of my research, some 4 years ago, was that no-one in the UK had a
clear understanding of the full range of facilities that make an ePortfolio
acceptable to all.  One early paper that I wrote sums up my initial
expectations of an ePortfolio:
http://maximise-ict.co.uk/Prime%20Directives-2.pdf

JISC, with all its magnificence, tended to promote the use of ePortfolios as
an in-house system without any real perception of Lifelong, Lifewide
learning, 5-95, or 'from sperm to worm'.  On several occasions I have read
comments such as, "Why should I bother with an ePortfolio - I cannot take it
with me!"

Assessment bodies have similar narrow perceptions of what an ePortfolio
should be, ie, for the delivery of a single course of study and nothing else
- which again fails to recognise one of the fundamentals of an ePortfolio,
that of being able to view 'the whole person'.

I could go on, but perhaps this is not the place.  One further document
which might be of some help:
http://issuu.com/efoliouk/docs/a_bridge_too_far3  best read in 'Full Screen'
mode.

Please see my blog for further ideas:
<http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/>
http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/

Ray Tolley  FEIDCT, NAACE Fellow, ACQI, MBILD

ICT Education Consultant

Maximise ICT Ltd

P:   <http://raytolley.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/>
http://raytolley.efolioworld.com/

B:   <http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/>
http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/

W:   <http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm>
http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm

 I:   http://issuu.com/efoliouk/docs

S:  http://www.slideshare.net/maximise/presentations

T:   http://twitter.com/efolio

Winner of the IMS 'Leadership Regional Award 2009'