Von: Klaas Enno Stephan <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, den 13. Oktober 2010, 18:02:58 Uhr
Betreff: Re: [SPM] DMC Question - Please help!!!

Dear Branislava

You are absolutely right that any (function of) model parameter estimates is conditional on the model chosen; this concerns both absolute (additive) and relative (ratio) interpretations of how B relates to A.  However, this does not prevent you from making inferences on parameter estimates across subjects.  This inference is usually on (linear contrasts of the) estimates within parameter classes (i.e., A, B C or D).  You might also be able to motivate a second-level frequentist test on across-class mixtures such as m=(A+uB) because, with zero-mean priors as in DCM, m will be zero under the null hypothesis of no effect across subjects.  However, this is not common practice and requires that (the average of) u is identical across subjects.

In short: There is nothing wrong with either the absolute or relative interpretation of how B relates to A.  However, both interpretations are just used to help readers understanding the results, they do not usually form the basis for inference.

I hope this clarifies things.

All the best
Klaas