Hi Andre,
Quoting from p. 732-3 of the "Handbook of MRI Pulse
Sequences" (Bernstein, King, Zhou, 2004): With EPI "the shift along the
phase-encoded direction can be substantial [due to the low bandwidth in
the phase-encoded direction]. Because of this, lipid suppression is
almost always employed in EPI pulse sequences".

cheers,
-MH