Unmodulated analysis shows regions where registration error differs
significantly among the populations, whereas modulated analysis
attempts to show regions of volumetric difference.

Everyone accepts that using a different linear model to fit data will
give different results.  In the same way, different pre-processing is
also expected to produce different findings (as this also changes how
differences among the data are modelled).

Best regards,
-John