Norman Gray wrote:
> Joy, hello.
>
> On 2010 Sep 30, at 11:22, Joy Davidson wrote:
>
>> EZID (http://n2t.net/ezid)
>> EZID is a service that makes it simple for digital object producers
>> (researchers and others) to obtain and manage long-term identifiers for
>> their digital content. The service is available via both a programming
>> interface (an API that software can use) and a web user interface.
>
> That's interesting.  Do you know where one goes to discuss these?

Do you wish to discuss this system in particular or identifier choices
and trade-offs generally?  I think the discussion on identifiers tends
to happen across different communities (e.g. teaching and learning,
discipline-based ones).  JISC has been providing a focus for discussion
of identifiers across all JISC communities, e.g. an event held in Feb 2010
This seems to be the main link for JISC activity
http://identifiers2010.jiscpress.org/ (maybe someone can correct me if I
am wrong).  The Feb meeting overview starts here
http://identifiers2010.jiscpress.org/jisc-persistent-identifiers-meeting-overview/
and was presented as an interactive document allowing feedback and comments.

> In particular, is it clear whether this is fundamentally different from purl.org?  Obviously, it's a different implementation of the same basic idea, and it uses ARKs, but is there an argument why one should use this rather than purl.org, in terms of the long-term persistence model, or curation style, or...?
>
> I'm interested, because I'm trying to draft some proposals for long-term-stable URIs for astronomy, and this is (most opportunely, thanks!) grist to that mill.

Going on the outcomes of that meeting (that I attended), JISC is
interested in providing non-prescriptive guidance on identifier choices
and use cases of what has worked for others - sounds like you could be
an ideal user who could feedback on potential materials etc.  Although
that won't meet your immediate need :) Other than that I'm not sure
there is a single place where identifier issues are discussed.  Have you
seen some of the ANDS materials?  I can look up links if you have not
seen them yet.

Monica