Hello,

I have my viva in 3 wks time and I'm slightly concerned about my poor statistical knowledge.  I used forwards regression in my studies because although I was measuring the components of the theory of planned behaviour (tpb) I wacked in some other measures and then used forwards regression to see what measures were valid additions to the TPB model.

Can anyone send me some references to studies that have used forwards regression (so I can have them in my bag as evidence the technique can be used).

I've just read a paper from 1988 about forwards regression (Leigh (1988) Assessing the importance of an independent variable in multiple regression: is stepwise unwise? Journal of clinical epidemiology, 41 (7) 669-677) and it's talking about that there are collinearity problems with data that is entered into forwards regressions and therefore R2 can never be uniquely allocated among independent variables.  Also if 2 variables move together then it is likely only 1 out of the 2 will be selected into the regression model because the other variable will not add to the R2.  It also says the stepwise routine does not indicate the magnitude of an effect.

Anyway, I pressume that alot has moved on in the world of stats since the above paper was written and I was wondering therefore if modern SPSS output from forwards regressions take all these things into account.....In the output, after providing you with the IV's that should be included in the model it also lists those excluded and then there's the table where you get the beta values.  The beta values show you the size and direction of the effect don't they??! So surely that is addressing the problem in the 1988 paper where stepwise did not indicate the magnitude of the effect?

Anyone think that my use of forwards regression was an appropriate technique??  I did not have SEM software (or knowledge!) which is why I ran regressions in the first place....

I really hate stats - can anyone help?!