From: Richard Ellam
Sent:  06/10/2010, 18:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] STEM education has little to do with broccoli

Hi Judith (and all)

While I understand where you are coming from, and entirely take your
point that journalists are lazy about the use of the word 'scientist'
I don't think its patronising to want to have a general term to
describe what we do.

The problem that I face is that in my work, presenting science shows,
I cover a range of disciplines, including physics, chemistry and
engineering, as well as philosophy and the history of science. That's
quite a mouthful, and gabbling that lot off every time someone asks
what I do make me sound like a pretentious, pedantic twit.

So its better to say I do science shows, even if I'd agree with you
that some of the stuff I talk about shouldn't really be called
science. I also work with primary schools - they don't 'do' physics
and chemistry, and ... They 'do' 'science', and they have 'science
coordinators' who lead the teaching of 'science'.

The reason we need something like 'STEM' to cover the range of
subjects we talk about is that there isn't really any existing
collective term that covers 'the sciences' plus engineering and other
technologies, and mathematics. By comparison painting and opera and
sculpture and literature and dance not to mention music and
(sometimes) cinema, arguably equally as diverse a group of subjects
as those covered by 'STEM' are quite happy to be subsumed under the
collective banner of 'the arts'.

Perhaps because scientists (and the rest) are more given to demanding
accuracy in the use of language all attempts to subsume mathematics
and engineering  and technology within a grouping known as 'the
sciences' meet with resistance, so that's why we need a term like
'STEM'.

Its interesting to ask why if the 'T' stands for technology, which
surely subsumes engineering within it, the engineers get their own
letter 'E' as well, and so get counted twice. I suspect the reason is
that if you want make a pronounceable acronym it needs at least one
vowel, and this is most conveniently obtained from the engineers!

So, yes we do need 'STEM' or something like it, unless you want to
try and persuade engineers and mathematicians that they are really
scientists
(good luck!), and as acronyms go its not too bad, and I think that
its now quite well understood here in the UK, even if the Americans
get confused by it, poor dears.

Cheers

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive