In terms of a tweetable answer:

"Storming #stateofUKscicom"

In terms of lack of responses, I do not think that it is because people do not have ready answers, but that they realise that any answers that they have are extremely complex and partial. As Dom and others have pointed out, there is vast range of activities that come under science communication, some of which are well established and 'professionalised' e.g. journalism and some that are less so e.g. sci comms for behaviour change

My Tweet view comes from Tuckman's group theory which is problematic in its own right, but certainly acts for me as a starting point in considering developmental stages of communities. [And the very fact that I have added such a caveat shows how partial my view is]

I also like Dom's craft model (but it maybe due to me currently reading John Pickstone's Ways of Knowing which doesn't privelidge one form of knowing from another) but I would prefer an allusion to the arts where there are different forms, (visual, performing, opera) each of which is tailored to a specific audience. The longer that I have been doing my current role (looking at unviersity public engagement across all disciplines) the more similarities I see between science communicators and artists - both groups tend to create very little new knowledge, but take existing knowledge and reshape it in a format that helps others to see a different worldview.

I think that it is great that an academic charged with writing a review of a particular field has asked for the views of practitioners. If he gets plenty of repsonses and debate then his 'outsider' reflections can help us to see what we  are all doing and how similar/different these may be, so please give him responses. I am sure that he would welcome them directly as well if people do not want to "put their heads above the parapet".

Bruce

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]