CBT? Might be useful. Medical reasons for weight eg thyroid problems?

I think this is a difficult area - if he cant do what is required of him AND he is responsible for vulnerable people then I think redeployment may be the only answer, but how long would the company be able to sustain this? I think people like police/fire and rescue services have to deal with fairly hefty individuals who cannnot fulfil fitness standards for their job - seem to remember a case a while ago of a firefighter who was sacked and took his employer to ET for unfair dismissal and I think he may have won, despite being given every opportunity and time to bring his weight, and therefore capabilities into line

Legislation may not apply specifically for the weight issue  but secondary health issues may well be relevant eg blood pressure/cardiac problems/respiratory issues/MSD`s  (like it would for people with substance abuse issues). Interestingly I know of a similar case but in reverse - care worker with anorexia and BMI of 14.3. This issue hinged around whether she was safe - she wasnt as she worked in a sleepover capacity and a lone worker helping the clients if they got into difficulties in the night. She was redeployed onto days for better peer and management support, liaison with GP, went into a residential treatment facility for 4 months , got paid sick pay while in. Now back at work as her weight has apparently stabilised

Good luck!

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:15:12 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Equality Act & Morbidly obese staff
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi All,

Thoughts please – I have a support worker (working with vulnerable clients with learning and some physical disabilities) who is probably around 35 stone (and apparently gaining) who is really struggling to fulfill his job role, breathless going up stairs and bending, can’t fit behind steering wheel in clients car (and we can’t change it) etc,etc. We have completed a functional risk assessment but was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions around how we could manage this and support him. Obviously capability is an option but the company has asked how else we can support him.

Obviously I’ll do the GP, dietician, EAP bit but I am more specifically interested in whether you would support with a clear behavioural contact as we would for someone with another addictive type behaviour problem  e.g. alcohol or drugs.

Anyone aware of any case law for obesity and the old DDA – my HR team couldn’t find any........

Oh wise ones – all suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers,
Cath

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: