David Ziegler

I think you need to check the actual magnitude of position transformation (distance by which the head was ‘moved’) in the MF log. The larger the distance, the more it amplifies noise (and if the head was not close to the sensors in the first place, there is not much signal to amplify). Our internal discussion here was that moves of more than ~2 cm are too large to produce decent data.

-yury-

From: Announcement for the Neuro MEG list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Ziegler
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: problem with maxfilter

Hello Neuromeg users,

I am having a problem running maxfilter 2.0 on my MEG data to auto-detect bad channels and transform each subject's head position. In about half of the cases, the results look good, but occasionally the resulting data seem to be noisier than the original data. I am aware of the known bug where using "-trans default" w/o specifying -frame and -origin results in noise at the vertex.  This is exactly what I am seeing, but I did specify these two parameters in my command.

I am attaching two figures, one with maxfiltering and one w/o (the data have been read into fieldtrip and I am displaying only the gradiometer data.  also, the channels are plotted numerically, but the sensors with the noise tend to be close to the vertex).  Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going on and what I can do to remedy the problem?

The command I ran is:

maxfilter -f $f_i{each subjects fif file} -origin 0 0 40 -frame head -autobad 30 -badlimit 7 -in 8 -out 3 -trans default

Thanks!
David

--

David A. Ziegler

Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
43 Vassar St,  46-5121
Cambridge, MA  02139

Tel: 617-258-0765