From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Robert Waterhouse
Sent: 04 October 2010 02:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tool placenames in Devon & Cornwall

Dear List,

I am interested in the possible meaning of a word which we find in West
Devon (it also turns up in Cornwall).  The word is variously spelled
'Tool,
Tule, or Tuell' and is often associated with surface mine workings.

I was wondering if it might be derived from an Old Cornish variant of
the
Welsh word 'Twll', meaning a pit, or have something to do with 'toll
tin'.

Does anyone have any ideas - especially on likely date-range?

Robert Waterhouse

This email has been scanned for viruses by Netshield MXSweep.
Geotechnics Limited, Registered in England No. 1757790 at The Geotechnical Centre, 203 Torrington Avenue, Tile Hill, Coventry CV4 9AP www.geotechnics.co.uk