Posted Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:53:01
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:

Term has started and we'd like to invite you to this term's events. The
first one is next Wednesday from noon and will be a discussion about
competing and complementing accounts of the history of 'health-related
behaviour' and 'life style' as analytical categories. All welcome!

CRASSH Health and Welfare Reading Group

Michaelmas Term 2010
Theme: Health Behaviours

During Michaelmas term, the CRASSH Health and Welfare group will tackle
contemporary concerns connecting health and behaviour. Increasingly,
medicine is looking to the social sciences and humanities for
inspiration when constructing models to explain and change behaviours
that interface with health. The talks and reading sessions seek to map
and critique the ways in which notions of behaviour have developed in
this cross-disciplinary encounter.

We begin with an historical sketch of discursive innovations which have
become a normalised part of the health research repertoire. As we unpick
the emergence of this trend, we question the link made and boundaries
set between behaviour and health. We then build on this through a
consideration of alternative social theoretical approaches that
emphasise relationality and complexity.

Sessions are held in the CRASSH building on Mill Street from 12.00 -
14.00 unless otherwise stated. More details at:
http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/page/33/health--welfare.htm
For further information click the  individual event title.

Mapping Medicine's Behaviour <http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/events/1411/>

Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010
Reading Group. This session also serves as background to Prof.
Armstrong's lecture in the next session.

(Health) Behaviour: The very Possibility
<http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/events/1412/>

Wednesday, 27 Oct 2010
Professor David Armstrong (Kings College London)

Entangled Healths <http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/events/1413/>

Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010
Reading Group.

The Behaviour of Psychologists Designing Health Interventions: Stories
from the Field <http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/events/1414/>

Friday, 19 Nov 2010
Dr Simon Cohn (University of Cambridge) Venue: The Mond Building

Erica Borgstrom

Postgraduate Student - University of Cambridge

NIHR CLAHRC for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough

Institute of Public Health

Forvie Site, Robinson Way

Cambridge, CB2 0SR, UK

http://tiny.cc/EBorgstrom

<http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk/gppcru/index.php?option=com_content&view=a
rticle&id=342&Itemid=46&catid=17>

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html