From: "John Dolan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:18:11 +0100
To: 'Linda Berube'<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: E-books

Thanks Linda, a great overview. As you say Amazon has stepped in, just after Stephen Page’s announcement, with their proposal to lend e-books.

For public libraries there will also be this tension between national and local. Compare Enquire which manifests itself differently – or not – in different authorities. Disaggregation might increase with the Government’s policy of devolving decisions to local level [public community library managers would have every sympathy with that principle] … except that this is an area for both efficiency and innovation for public libraries and their communities.

SCL and TRA have both published statements. What will be important is that all these bodies work together as one and I’m sure they must be in discussion. CILIP too can be at the centre of this as it has capacity, a great mix of skills and can draw of the knowledge across the sectors through its own amazing network of partnerships and Interest Groups.

The JISC provides expert and focussed direction and debate for academic libraries; the public library sector has to match that calibre of togetherness to maintain development momentum.

Ed Vaizey is Minister for Creative Industries as well as libraries and can speak fluently about libraries in the digital age. This is an ideal combination – libraries are about creativity … both purveying the creativity of writers, poets and thinkers and nurturing creativity in children, young people and adult users in all areas of society. The potential for cross government strategy is huge.

Action please!

John Dolan OBE, BA, Dip Lib, MCLIP

E. [log in to unmask]

T. 0121 476 4258