Grampian Information are excited to announce the programme for our 2010 Conference.  We understand how tight training budgets can be and have reduced our conference fee to only £50!  Our programme this year is all about Advocacy and Impact. We hope you will come away from this conference with renewed energy and skills to advocate for yourself and your service.

Below is a detailed description of the programme we have organised.

After listening to feedback from our members, we’ve introduced a new low rate for the conference.  All members will be offered a day delegate rate of £50.  This includes lunch, two keynote sessions, two breakout sessions and participation in a discussion about the future of Grampian Information.

Keynote Speakers and Workshop Leaders

Grampian Information has secured two wonderful keynote speakers for this year’s conference.

Antony Brewerton Antony is Head of Academic Services at the University of Warwick.  He has previously worked at Oxford Brookes University and the University of Reading.  He is a qualified librarian and a Fellow of CILIP as well as a qualified marketer and a member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing.  He has over 20 years’ experience of working in academic liaison and over 10 years’ of marketing libraries.  He is an award-winning library marketer, the author of the several articles on marketing library services and the editor of the SCONUL compendium of good practice in this field.  He has talked on librarianship issues internationally and runs regular workshops for CILIP.  He is looking forward to speaking in Scotland again.  His favourite record shop is Avalanche Records in Edinburgh. His keynote is entitled “‘A is for Advocacy’

Antony will explore some key themes from the world of marketing and how they are now more relevant than ever for librarians.  Branding, Customer Relationship Management and (of course) advocacy will be covered with illustrations from Antony’s own experience of developing and promoting services to various community groups.

Elisabeth Elford has spent the past ten years working in advocacy and communications for global organisations. Previously based in Russia, she worked for the United States Agency for International Development before moving to London to help make the case for the value of public libraries. Currently she works for the British Library and the Society of Chief Libraries on a project to raise the profile of public in central government. Elizabeth lives in London with her partner and six month old daughter.  Her keynote is entitled, “Saying the Right Things: Advocating for Libraries in a Changing Political Environment”

There will be workshop sessions by the following:

Elaine Fulton Director of SLIC will be speaking about measuring impact, something many services are finding necessary.

Chris Pinder who has been the Chair of CILIPS for the past year will be brief the delegates on the experiences he has had going around the country and meeting with practitioners and discussing those experiences

Jon Coll Head of Access and Enquiries at the National Library of Scotland will discuss the many resources available to all Scottish Residents through the NLS online services.  Find out how this could benefit you, your users and your service.

Laurence Bebbington, Deputy Librarian of the University of Aberdeen will be discussing the Digital Economy bill.  Come and find out how this will impact your service and will you need to do to be in compliance.

Excellent conference, excellent price

Be part of a conference for an excellent price with issues relevant to you and your service.  The location at Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre is a central location for the Grampian area, minimising travel costs for your organisation. We are looking to have as many representatives from our membership as possible to take part in the discussion of the future of Grampian Information. What do you want from Grampian Information, come tell us!  We are excited to see you at the conference.  You can register by going to our online booking form:

Booking form

If you have any questions about any of this information, please don’t hesitate to contact Amelia Davies, Executive Support Officer Grampian Information  [log in to unmask] There is also a detailed programme available on our website…. www.grampianinfo.co.uk.