I’m forwarding this message on behalf of the University Council of Modern Languages (UCML), regarding a consultation event on Shaping the Future of Languages in Higher Education. Please let the Chair of UCML Pam Moores ([log in to unmask]) or her PA Heather Phillips ([log in to unmask]) know if you will be attending.

Matthew

***************

Consultation meeting on Shaping the Future of Languages in HE

University of Leeds, Friday 5th November, 1.30 to 4.30

LG17 Michael Sadler Building (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campusmap)

Join us!

UCML members may know that the Council is currently leading a consortium working together with AULC, LLAS and CILT on a Hefce funded project to develop responses to the recommendations of the Worton Review of MFL provision. The central purpose is:

To promote interest, confidence and participation in the study of languages in HE, uniting academics across the full range of languages, cultures, disciplinary perspectives and types of provision which we represent, to articulate and disseminate common messages which underline the strategic importance of our academic activities, raise our visibility, and highlight the value of Modern Languages.

Through this project we hope to build greater consensus across the academic community as regards the shared identity and common purpose of all those working in languages, in order to lobby more effectively at a time of major challenges. We need to be in a position to promote persuasive and accessible messages, both to senior decision-makers and to the wider public. In order to do so effectively, we want to consult, update you on the progress of the project, test out ideas and hear your views. We will therefore be holding consultation meetings, the first at the University of Leeds on 5th November, and the second (tbc) in the South West.

The invitation is open to all HE colleagues involved in languages research and/or teaching. Please let Chair of UCML Pam Moores ([log in to unmask]) or her PA Heather Phillips ([log in to unmask]) know if you will be attending, so that we have some idea of numbers in advance. Further documentation on the project will be provided at the meeting, but the following brief outline may help to give some idea of the scope and importance of this work.

The project’s work is focused on the following themes:

1.       Unity embracing Diversity

Forging a shared ML identity

This covers programmes of study and the intellectual capital, knowledge and skills that our graduates possess.

 Also, ML research, which suffers currently from limited understanding and a poor reputation.

The aim is to gather arguments and evidence to make the general case for language study in HE, and to provide illustration through examples from particular languages and cultures.

2.       Internationalisation and Institutional Agendas

Gathering arguments, case studies and tools to persuade senior colleagues and policy-makers of our essential contribution to HE strategies and national/international agendas. Major emphasis is being placed here on our contribution to student mobility.

3.       Our Relation and Contribution to Society

The focus here is on the employability of graduates with languages skills, intercultural knowledge and experience.

We very much look forward to seeing you there. Do not hesitate to email with any queries.

Dr Matthew Treherne

Director of the Leeds Humanities Research Institute and the Faculty of Arts Graduate School
Senior Lecturer in Italian; Co-Director of the Leeds Centre for Dante Studies

Leeds Humanities Research Institute, 29-31 Clarendon Place, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK

Tel:
+44 (0)113 34 35636; Fax: +44 (0)113 34 35653

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/lhri

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/italian
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/italian/centrefordantestudies.htm

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html