APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

----

Dear List Members,

I am writing to ask for your help. The new release of our software, Statistics for the Terrified v6.01, a straightforward Statistics tutorial (teaching Statistics itself, not a replacement for SPSS!) is just out. Statistics is needed by everyone - and with that in mind we are keen to get feedback from anyone involved in teaching research methods or statistics to students, or from anyone on the list who might be interested.

You can download an evaluation copy (which will run for a limited period) from:

            http://www.conceptstew.co.uk/PAGES/emfph68aA9C.html.

More information can also be found on our teachers page:

            http://www.conceptstew.co.uk/PAGES/teachers.html

As a teacher of Statistics for many years, I noticed that putting too much reliance on mathematics didn’t get us anywhere. I found that students were happy to be convinced about what was going on in Statistics if it could be converted to a more amenable problem of common sense and pattern recognition – which luckily is very possible. Once the students had assimilated the concepts, they found the mathematics was much easier, because suddenly there was a point to it. So for me, it is all about the way the information unfolds – understand the concept first then back it up with the mathematics if necessary.

Statistics for the Terrified is a straightforward guide to basic (and not-so-basic) Statistics which I developed initially for my own teaching duties in the early 1990s.  Expanded and developed over the intervening years, it is used in many universities and colleges to reach the otherwise difficult group of students who want or need to understand the principles without having to work through the mathematics first. These might be, for example, students of Business, Geography, Psychology etc., who want to understand research rather than the mathematical discipline of Statistics. The package enables these students to approach more traditional teaching with increased confidence.

The software will run happily on any PC from Windows 95 up to Windows 7 (NT is still not recommended!).

It is sold on a renewable annual license basis, and we have a sliding scale for institutions where the cost per capita comes down as the number of users increases. For the release of version 6.01 we are introducing two new licensing options – annual faculty and campus (site) licenses which will make it considerably cheaper for very large numbers, typically under a pound per user.

We also have a Statistics glossary and a number of discussion pieces on our website which can be used for teaching. We add to this frequently – most recently a piece on sample size – and if there is anything you would like us to cover, please let us know.

If you have any other questions, or any comments on the software or the free resources, please don’t hesitate to get in touch,

Kind regards,

Stephen

Stephen Morris

Director