Forward on behalf of Marina Bradbury

Please reply to her

*******************************

GEM, 54 Balmoral Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 4PG, UK

Tel/Fax:  +44 (0) 1634 853424

Email: [log in to unmask]

www.gem.org.uk

GEM is a registered charity number 1090995 and a company limited by guarantee register in England number 149246

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not represent those of GEM. Should you communicate with anyone at GEM by e-mail, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Marina Bradbury
Communications Officer, the Art Fund
Direct line: 020 7225 4819

www.artfund.org

www.facebook.com/theartfund

www.twitter.com/theartfunduk

Text Box: press release... press release... press release... press release... press release... press release...press release…Applications open for £100,000 Art Fund Prize 2011 and the new Clore Award for Museum Learning

Michael Portillo announced as Chair of Judges, Art Fund Prize 2011

Today, Monday 4 October, the Art Fund announces that the application process is open for the Art Fund Prize 2011 and the new Clore Award for Museum Learning.

The Art Fund Prize is the most prestigious prize in the museum world and annually awards £100,000 to a museum or gallery that demonstrates excellence, originality and imagination for a project the previous year.

Under the umbrella of the Art Fund Prize, we are delighted to be announcing that for 2011, there will be a new Award – the Clore Award for Museum Learning. The single award of £10,000 will recognise and celebrate quality, impact and innovation in using museums and galleries for learning activities or initiatives. It is aimed at both formal and informal learning initiatives or projects which focus on the development of skills, knowledge, understanding, values, ideas, feelings and enjoyment.

Stephen Deuchar, Director of the Art Fund, said: “Recognising excellence for new initiatives – be they exhibitions, programmes, buildings, refurbishments, acquisitions and much more – the Art Fund Prize is a fantastic platform from which to make a significant noise about your institution and to reach out to new and existing audiences. The rewards are great, for winner and applicants alike. Do apply!”

Dame Vivien Duffield DBE, Chairman, the Clore Duffield Foundation, said: “My Foundation has long supported learning spaces and programmes in museums and galleries. We are therefore delighted to be supporting this new Clore Award to recognise the creativity, energy and achievements of learning staff in engaging people of all ages with our material culture. The Award is an important new dimension to the Art Fund Prize for 2011.”

Lars Tharp, member of the 2010 judging panel, commented that “the Prize benefits the whole museum sector, not just the winner.”

We are also pleased to announce that Michael Portillo will be this year’s Chair of the Judges, following on from Kirsty Young who held the position last year.

Michael Portillo, Chair of the Judges, said: "Those entrusted with Britain's rich resource of museum collections are constantly innovating, finding new ways to display their treasures, and seeking to develop their buildings with vivid new designs.  This prize seeks to reward their efforts and to draw the public's attention to those advances.  I am greatly looking forward to being able to visit some of the outstanding improvements around the nation, and to chairing the process by which we recognise the best of the year."

The full judging panel will be announced in November 2010.

The Art Fund Prize and the Clore Award for Museum Learning are open to all museums and galleries in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. The deadline is 1 December 2010. To find out more, please visit: www.artfundprize.org.uk.

Ends

Notes to Editors

Press contact: Marina Bradbury, [log in to unmask], 020 7225 4888

The Art Fund Prize

The Art Fund Prize is administered by The Museum Prize, a charitable company created in 2001 by representatives of National Heritage, the Museums Association, The Art Fund and the Campaign for Museums.

These organisations agreed to put aside award schemes they formerly ran (including National Heritage’s Museum of the Year) and lend their support to this single major prize.

The Chair of Judges

Michael Portillo was born in North London in 1953. His father, Luis, had come to Britain as a refugee at the end of the Spanish Civil War, and his mother, Cora, was brought up in Fife. She met Luis while she was an undergraduate at Oxford.

Michael attended a grammar school, Harrow County, and went to Peterhouse, Cambridge, where he gained a first class degree in History.

He left Cambridge in 1975, and for a year worked for a shipping company. He moved to the Conservative Research Department in 1976, where he spent three years. At the General Election in 1979 he was responsible for briefing Margaret Thatcher before her press conferences. For the next two years he was special adviser to the Secretary of State for Energy.

He worked for Kerr McGee Oil (UK) Ltd from 1981 - 1983. He contested the Birmingham Perry Bar seat at the 1983 Election.

In 1982 Michael and Carolyn married. They first met when they were at school.

The Sponsors

The Art Fund is the UK’s national fundraising charity for works of art. We believe that everyone should have access to great art and that by bringing together the contributions of all our members and supporters, we can play a part in enriching the range, quality and understanding of art for all to experience. We campaign, fundraise and give money to help museums and galleries buy and show art, and we promote its enjoyment through our events and membership scheme. Recent grant highlights include leading the £3.3 million campaign to save the Staffordshire Hoard, and helping to buy a new commission, Antony Gormley’s 6 Times, for the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. We don’t receive government funding; our members and supporters make our work possible. For more information, contact the Press Office on 020 7225 4888.

The Clore Duffield Foundation is chaired by Dame Vivien Duffield DBE and has a strong focus on supporting cultural learning, particularly within museums and galleries and at heritage sites. www.cloreduffield.org.uk. It is one of the founding partners of the Cultural Learning Alliance, a collective voice working to ensure that all children and young people have meaningful access to culture in this difficult economic climate.
www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk

Help us raise £2.7m to save The Procession to Calvary by Pieter Brueghel the Younger for the National Trust’s Nostell Priory.

To discover more and support our joint campaign visit http://artfund.org/procession