Hi

On 6 Oct 2010, at 15:38, Rodrigo Perea wrote:

> Hello,
> I am new in this field and I am very skeptical with the different matrix designs I've tried when I wanted to analyze a linear relationship case. I want to check the correlation between FA and age  in one time point in individuals of the same group with sex as a covariate.
>
> For example, lets suppose we have 10 individuals, my guesses were:
>

> 1. I demeaned the age and set up two contrasts.
>
> Design.mat: In the first column it shows that all belong to Group1

Not quite - in the actual design matrix the first EV as shown below is modelling the overall group mean.

> , 2nd colum is the demeaned age and the 3rd column my covaraite sex.

You would normally demean the 3rd EV as well - but in this case it won't matter.

> /NumWaves 3
> /NumPoints 47
> /PPheights  1.000000e+00 2.558000e+01 1.000000e+00
>
> /Matrix
> 1  -2.4  1
> 1  -2.8  1
> 1  5.7   0
> 1  -4.8  1
> 1  3.4   0
>
> Desing.con: Since the 2nd EV is the one I want either a positive or negative relation, I ended doing this...
>
> /Matrix
> 0 1 0
> 0 -1 0

Correct

> Or my second guess
> 2.  I didnt set up the group values since all will be assigned to the same group. Thus, 1st column is the demeaned age and 2nd the covariate sex.

No - the first example is correct - note that the part of the Glm GUI where you enter group membership may be used in the modelling, but is NOT part of the design matrix.

Cheers.

> Design.mat:
> /Matrix
> -2.4  1
> -2.8  1
> 5.7   0
> -4.8  1
> 3.4   0
>
> Design.con
>
> /Matrix
> 1 0
> -1 0
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Rodrigo Dennis Perea
> Neuro-Imaging Research Assistant
> Alzheimer's & Aging Program
> The University of Kansas - School of Medicine

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)