Sounds like you probably ended up running two different models.  Instead of using the model wizard, I suggested setting up the model by hand using the tips here
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/feat5/detail.html#PairedTwoGroupDifference

Then you'll know *exactly* how the model was set up.  Here are the answers to your specific questions

1) No
2) Statistically, not a problem but interpretation might be off.
3) I don't really know.  I guess you can run a second model that models the paired difference for your 9 months apart group separate from the same day group and see if the paired differences differ between the two groups.  Sample sizes within the two groups are pretty small, so it is sort of hard to interpret any differences you see.  You're mostly hoping there isn't a difference.

Jeanette