Yes, you need to add an intercept to your model.  Aside from the first level
analysis (analyzing the BOLD time series data) you must add the intercept
(column of 1s) in the higher level analyses.

It will be in the model, but you don't include it in the contrast.  So, [0
1] and [0 -1] would test the positive and negative trends.  It might be a
good idea to quickly review linear regression.

Jeanette