Although un-standard redneck English would conflate the two words, "argument" actually means to express a position or point of view.

> Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 08:59:16 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: polemicists awake!
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Polemics or arguments? I think there is a difference. . .

> On 10/7/10 11:51 PM, bill harris wrote:
> > --_260fe4dc-eab8-431c-bf6c-32793bc98417_
> >

> > Feelings and shame aren't the issue. That philosophy is by its nature polem=
> > ical is something that many refues to understand. It's sort of like trying =
> > to do physics without bothering to learn math=2C or mud-wrestling without g=
> > etting dirty.
> > =20
> > BH
> > =20
> >

> > Date: Thu=2C 7 Oct 2010 16:09:06 -0400
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: polemicists awake!
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> >
> > BH: It certainly seems to be true that philosophy is notoriously polemical.=
> > The shame is that some people feel it needs be.=20
> > EB: To quote Susan Douglas in her intro to "Bonfire of the Humanities" "...=
> > political correctness has enforced self-censorship among many=2C to the ver=
> > y detriment of the spirit of the humanities."
> >

> > Times have changed. At what point=2C when members of the GBL tribe adamantl=
> > y refer to themselves as "queer"=2C is it okay for the rest of us to do so?
> >

> > As far as BH's comment that GBL's are more interesting=2C because they are=
> > on the fringe=2C as a resident of SanFran=2C I would demur.
> > db
> >

> > * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please alw=
> > ays delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave=2C send the=
> > message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http:=
> > //www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: h=
> > [log in to unmask] not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://ww=
> > w.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] ** =
> > =
> >
> > *
> > *
> > Film-Philosophy
> > After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
> > To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]
> > Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
> > For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
> > *
> > Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
> > Contact: [log in to unmask]
> > **
> >
> > --_260fe4dc-eab8-431c-bf6c-32793bc98417_

> > <head>
> > .hmmessage P
> > {
> > margin:0px=3B
> > padding:0px
> > }
> > body.hmmessage
> > {
> > font-size: 10pt=3B
> > font-family:Tahoma
> [...]
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **