Hi Epi,

My responses will match your letters. As for as my 'alarming trend' goes, perhaps i might clear up a misunderstanding. Whereas most on the board appear to be directly involved in cinema as an art, some of us, including me, come from the philosophy side.

This world, i suspect, is far more rough-and- tumble than yours. That's because philosophy by definition is highly polemical--which, by the way, is derived directly from the classical Greek for 'war'. In terms of 'polemics', then, what you find 'alarming' is beside the point, because in warfare no one wins points for feelings.

In brief measure, If I have convinced others that 'pansy' should be considered mild humor rather than hate speech, it's because I've made the stronger case. This, of course, does not preclude the obvious that on an interpersonal basis, I respect the nomenclatural feelings of others.

A) A 'problematique' is an issue that the artist tries to resolve within the context of the work. It may have formal properties, such as the ability to do an entire film in monochrome (Kieslowski), or to describe a body without organs (Veerhoven). Proulx's "Brokeback", and the film as well, describes the impossibility of love when the two are invested with a sense of shame.

Proust is narratively clear that Charlus behaves like a...er...'Charlus' because fin de siecle Paris refuses him the right of love. Yet if Proust were alive today, I'd be asking him whether or not behaving a la Charlus is not prophetic, or self reinforcing.

My favorite recent film on love is "Lost and Delirious". Love is far too important to be left to Wildeish street theatre, or to be destroyed by Judith Butleresque nonsense.

B)  You seem to think that you have some deep insight into what self-respect means, but I'm afraid you're begging the question. Ditto with your sentiment of 'horrific'. Here again, you're imposing your entiments on others, not seeking for meaning.

Regarding all of this "White oppressor" stuff, I would say that you need to be reminded that 350,000 white oppressors died to free the slaves, and that the African slave trade was a world-wide event that depopulated Africa by 50 million people. Roughly 10 million went to the east, 20 to the west--9 bound for present-day Amerika--and 20 held in internal slavery.

To fast- forward a bit, the Jim Crow anti-reconstruction rollback was accopmplishe by white legistators during the 1962-8 period. African-American CR marches, which included many whites such as myself, were protected by whites who ostensibly felt closer to 'the negroes' than their genetic simulacra, the southern white trash pipples.

C)  My strong disagreement with the Wilde-crowd is based upon my understanding that there are two, and only two, realistic dimensions to the issue of Gay-Lib: sex and love. Sex involves privacy, and is more or less resolved. Love is complicated, because it concerns legitimation by others in a public, non-private scene.

Now I don't think it would be that difficult to find an epistemic thread to connect Wilde/Pater to today's Queer Theory (I'll leave Mr Chanian withthe details!), and to demonstrate (and here I'll have to take over!) how such theory and its manifestations is an epistemological train wreck--and absolute political disaster not only for gays but the left in general.

For example, ther notion that one can comprehend beauty without referencing cultural norms is utter nonsense. Theirs, in brief, is the infamous 'bucket theory' of philosophical ridicule.

Again, what works is simple normalization. Jenny brings Sally, and David bring Sam home for Thanksgiving dinner. BFD.

D)  You're free to behave in any manner you see fit. What's important is that you acknowledge norms as pre-exicting social facts.

F)  Self-defined gays really are more interesting than the average straight male. That's because gay self-identity is an acknowledgement of being on the margin; and as we know, things in general are far more interesting out there than in the middle.

G)  Aesthecism presents us with the wrong idea as to how art works, and a worse idea as to how the artist should behave. Art for art's sake inevitable ghettoizes the endeavor and its practitioners. Small wonder, then, that reasonable people with conservative values refuse to subsidize via taxation!

BTW, the Wiki-issue as to what--and who--it reppresents-- is alive and kicking. Wiki depends upon volunteers who 'will eventually' be edited by....(?).

H) What we have are the two ur-texts of Pater and Wilde that are quite clear on this issue: social theatre, sexual exploration, and the cultivation of 'beauty' go hand in hand. Yet, that Aesthetes R Homos obviously does not imply the contrary. Hence, sociologically, the potential research as to the extent of the correlation...

BH