 We can agree that cameras are not 'objective' in the sense that they would operate 'subject-independently', which is the philosophical sense of the word. This is because the what/how is based upon willfull behavior.

OTH, cameras are indeed subject-dependent instruments that have been created specifically to offer us realism. In this sense, they have easily replaced the hand-eye-marker-template depicitive-instrument; much as we use computers to do our calculations.

I likewise do not believe that it's useful to define something as 'objective' simply because we understand the physics of how it works. What might be said is that because photograpy can be understood as resting on principles of science, it has, by definition, a subject-independent basis.

Cameras can likewise be manipulated to offer us non-realism, which is the antechamber of art. To this end, I'm really not sure  what is meant by saying that an intentionally-distorted lens might offer up 'objectivity'.

In any case, my own preference is to employ philosophy as a means of exposing the mythologies that we construct to contour our lives. We humans seem hard-wired to claim 'objectivity' in order to harden truth-claims of realism, and philosophers such as Searle, Cartwright, Fish, and Dworkin write in order to de-mystify such notions.

Defining the human process behind the employ of electrochemisry is not unlike, say, the understanding that legal 'persons' serving a specific purpose do not constitute real, live human beings. Without this form of understanding, we're all living in the conceptual cottonpatch.

BH

> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:17:52 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: ontology, transparency and the "disposable camera"
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> But the claim isn't about the eye, visual system, or reproducing vision.
> The first thing that a photographer has to learn is that the camera
> doesn't reproduce what we see: for example, the constancies don't work
> in a photo in the way they do in vision: so you take a picture and your
> subject turns out to be too small in the frame. The objectivity of the
> photography just is the systematic mechanical/chemical mapping of values
> from the world to the sensor or film. There are conventions of
> camera/lens/film/sensor design but any of these provides just as much
> objectivity, a wildly anamorphic lens as much as a standard lens.

> On 10/29/10 1:04 PM, bill harris wrote:
> > --_05163c74-9a97-4118-813c-283ca3383045_
> >

> > Here's a small example-- on the level of simple=2C accepted technique-- as =
> > to how the camera cannot capture the 'rteality' of the eye.
> > =20
> > Eye focal length is about 35mm. At that perspective=2C what the eye sees is=
> > =2C among other things=2C a hugely oversized nose. So the brain readjusts t=
> > he perspective=3B which is to say that the eye is only one part of the visu=
> > al system.
> > =20
> > But as we speak=2C cameras are yet to be fitted with brains that might dist=
> > inguish=2C say=2C the intentional detailing of a face from reading the keyp=
> > ad in a cellphone.
> > =20
> > Therefore=2C to portray a realistic face=2C the shooter must adjust back th=
> > e focal length to the 60-80 range. Photographic reality=2C from the basics=
> > =2C relies on human convention and adjustment.
> > =20
> > BH
> >
> > =20
> > =20
> >> Date: Thu=2C 28 Oct 2010 13:44:05 -0400
> >> From: [log in to unmask]
> >> Subject: Re: ontology=2C transparency and the "disposable camera"
> >> To: [log in to unmask]
> >> =20
> > =2C
> >> What you call "photonic-indexical link" seems pretty much to be what is=20
> >> meant by transparency. Though I guess that there can be non-photonic=20
> >> photo-like indexicality=2C like a kind of Alexieff-type pin animation in=
> > =20
> >> which the pins were pushed by the actual objects represented.
> >> =20
> >> The metaphysics of light lives on in some filmmakers. I've seen=20
> >> filmmakers hold up a strip of camera-original reversal stock and exclaim=
> > =20
> >> that the photons the bounced off the subject directly hit these very=20
> >> frames. This desire for getting as close to unmediated representation as=
> > =20
> [...]
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **