How about Bresson's A Man Escaped ?

Maybe an all too literal take on the topic, but prison-break films (such as Jacques Becker's Le Trou, Losey's The Criminal, or, of course, The Shawshank Redemption) offer some interesting points of discussion.

> Thanks for the suggestions.  As to the question how I mean "freedom" I'm open: political, existential, metaphysical.... Usually, the class itself has focused on political freedom.
>
> The main concerns are that it should be somewhat explicit in dealing with the subject, so while lots of films can be thought of in relation to freedom, it's got to be something that "thematizes" freedom (I'm leaving it open whether that means that the film must be considered to be "philosophizing" about freedom) and also that it should be a film that can be classed with the "great books" we are reading in the course.
>
> I like the suggestions of  "Run, Lola Run" and "White" and "A Clockwork Orange" - all of them would be great thematically.  I think "White" is best seen as part of the trilogy, though, and "A Clockwork Orange" raises a whole host of other issues that might be a distraction from the focus.  "Run, Lola, Run" is interesting, though.  It would be nice to work with the metaphysical side of freedom for a change.  I'm not sure my co-teachers will see it as a "classic" - but I'm going to push for it.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> --
> Nathan Andersen

*
*
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**