On 10/30/10 8:34 AM, bill harris wrote:
> =20
> I likewise do not believe that it's useful to define something as 'objectiv=
> e' simply because we understand the physics of how it works. What might be =
> said is that because photograpy can be understood as resting on principles =
> of science=2C it has=2C by definition=2C a subject-independent basis.
The basic notion is information-conveyment in Dretske's sense: our
interests determine the design of an altimeter or fuel guage but the
information just is. That is a usual use of objectivity: a moral
realist, at least of some sorts, for example, believes that moral
properties are objective in the sense of being part of the furniture of
the world.

I think the supposed realism of photos is overblown: we often get
carried away by recognition so that we don't know how weird they look.

*
*
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**