John & Mike both raise points that are important. We are not far apart. I am not sure though that my contention that a shot is used to make a truth claim is only terminological. It follows from the fact that shots  have a truth  value that we can have a logic  of film: true or false propositions, entailment relations, valid arguments etc. Without such logical means film could make narrative arguments.

My reply to John is that a shot is used as an intentional (or non-natural) sign with, if you like, all  the nesting of intentions that Grice identifies in his theory of meaning. A shot is used with the intention of making a truth claim. (I also a agree that a shot is a bit of non-intentional stuff that has a causal relation to whatever it's actual footage of.)

To Mike: Not only evidence or illustration but truth claim. I agree that a shot  is embedded in discourse - historically all shots are embedded in a world of linguistic (and other) propositions  - but this  is precisely how truth is defined in its sense as 'coherence with other truths'.

As for 'specific referential relationship' actual footage is the epitome of truth defined as 'correspondence between proposition and the world'.

Maybe none of these things is inherent in the shot itself,  but what is inherent in a sentence?

Ross