On 10/11/2010 3:56 PM, ray kirk wrote:

> Is it research? that is the question. This comes up for me from time to
> time, so its not new. Conducting systematic reviews, health technology
> assessments, and meta-analyses, to name a few of the methods we use, is
> it research? I am currently having this debate with my academic
> institution who believe (well some do and quite strongly) that its not
> research. Of course, I believe it is, we create new knowledge, apply it
> in new ways, to create new outcomes. The counter argument focuses on -
> "its secondary data analysis, isn't it?" and therefore, /ipso facto/,
> its not research. I suppose it comes down to what you define as research
> and then - is what we do a fit for the definition. I welcome your
> thoughts on-line or off-line.

The definition that most IRBs use for research comes from the Department
of Health and Human Services. "DHHS regulations define research as a
systematic investigation, including research development, testing and
evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge."
http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.htm#46.102

All of the activities that you describe are systematic and they do
contribute to generalized knowledge.

As a statistician, I am shocked that anyone would even consider
secondary data analysis as not being research. Some of the most
important research findings I have helped with have been secondary data
analyses.
--
Steve Simon, Standard Disclaimer
Sign up for The Monthly Mean, the newsletter that