Hi!

Perhaps even more important than the particular discipline is the target journal (whether it be online or paper). If you are submitting to a journal called something like Journal of Russian Literature Studies, the assumption might be that the reader is capable of reading Russian, thus the quotes and data might be left in their original language. In the field of linguistics, readers might not be expected to know all of the languages represented in the articles of the journal, but the original language assumes a special importance, so they might prefer to have the original language (perhaps followed by a translation) for the data in the text. Another common solution is to translate the language in the body of the text and supply the original language in footnotes. I have seen what feels like hundreds of variations of ways to handle this. There really is no one universal solution, but as Mary Jane points out, the APA is a good place to look for a general guideline - as is the Chicago Manual of Style (which has a section specifically on how to deal with Russian). But perhaps having aspiring authors find 3-4 relevant journals for their fields and see how they do it would be equally helpful.

One important DON'T to keep in mind: In the literature list DON'T let the translated name of the article make it appear as if the article actually exists in English. In other words:

YES:  Baev, Pavel. 2010. "The transliterated name of the article" [The translated name of the article]. Name of Journal (Vol) number.

NO: Baev, Pavel. 2010. "The translated name of the article". Name of Journal, etc.

The first example gives English-speaking readers an idea of what the article is about through the translation in hard brackets, but also tells them the article is actually in Russian. The second is misleading because it suggests the article is in English, and curious readers will be disappointed.

Interesting question about the author names. In addition to the issue of what the journal requires, you might also think about what is the interests of the authors. My main experience in this area is with Norwegian authors. Norwegian has the same alphabet as English, but with the addition of three extra letters: æ, ø, and å. Authors with these letters in their names have to decide if they want to anglicize their names: e.g., Øystein to Oystein; Bård to Bard, etc. This will affect Internet searches of their names - although I suppose searches are becoming so sophisticated that searching for "Bjørn" will return not only "Bjørn", but also "Björn" and "Bjorn". A little off the track, perhaps, but food for thought.

Lynn

Lynn P. Nygaard
Special Advisor on Project Development and Publications

Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO)
Postal address: PO Box 9229 Grønland, 0134 Oslo, Norway
Location: Hausmanns gate 7, 0186 Oslo, Norway
Oslo office: (+47) 22 54 77 30
Oslo mobile: (+47) 93 25 34 81