Lilith, hello,

One of the best texts I've read on this issue is Disability in Twentieth Century German Culture by Carol Poole (U Michigan Press), which, as you can imagine, deals with social value and eugenics following World War I and II. It's a fascinating and chilling case study of one society's ordering of worth, which I think fits directly with our evolving hierarchy of disability. In my own research on children's film, I can confirm that there are hierarchies of marketability -- that is, what Hollywood thinks will sell and not offend (and can be made into tie-in merchandise), with "invisible" disability less marketable than "physical" disability (I put the terms in scare quotes because the brain, after all, is physical, for pity's sake) Perhaps to no one's great surprise, the least marketable disability in children's film is facial disfigurement. Disney and Pixar just don't want protagonists that aren't cute and appealing. Quasimodo in Disney's Hunchback is one exception that proves !
 the rule.

Best luck in your research.

Elizabeth Scherman
University of Washington