From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Thomson
Sent: 26 October 2010 12:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Students on Interruption

Dear all,

I am interested in hearing what other institutions do when they have a student who has interrupted their study, because of a disability related issue, but is also completing outstanding work. Due to these students not attending and therefore not paying fees their DSA is also interrupted. In cases whereby students have had to take an interruption because of a disability and still require non-medical helper support, say for library browsing or dyslexia tuition, it seems that we may be disadvantaging them by not allowing access to the support while they complete outstanding work. It seems a bit of a loop hole and I would be interested in how other institutions handle it - do people look at funding this internally or are the students left to their own devices?

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah Thomson
Faculty Disability Co-ordinator
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
Hawthorn Building room H00.36
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH
tel: (0116) 257 7884
Book onto one of our campus tours to see what facilities we have to offer. They run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday during term time. Call the Enquiry Centre on 08459 45 46 47 to reserve your place or you can book online, www.dmu.ac.uk/campustours<http://www.dmu.ac.uk/campustours>