From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum on behalf of John Nissen
Sent: Fri 01/10/2010 14:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A User's Guide to the Crisis of Civilization And How to Save It

Hi Mark,

I can understand your abhorance of geoengineering.  I think it is very natural, as our society has done enough damage already with our CO2 emissions, biofuel from food, etc.  However that damage has to be undone, if we are to prevent catastrophe, particularly from ocean acidification and from methane release and ice sheet disintegration in the Arctic.  Unfortunately the only way to halt the acidification is by reducing CO2 below 350 ppm - and possibly much lower - and the only way to do this is through carbon dioxide removal (CDR).  And unfortunately the only way to cool the Arctic, in time to prevent catastrophe, is by solar radiation management SRM.  This is a matter of climate science.  I challenge you (or anybody else) to show that CDR and SRM are not a necessary part of the solution.

Cheers,

John

---

Mark Levene wrote:
John,

with great respect, when you suggest ' Perhaps we should introduce Nafeez etc ..to geoengineering' you mean yourself and those who might support you. Crisis Forum's list is just that:  a list where issues such as this can be debated. But we have no policy line per se. As I think you know, I for one abhor the idea of geoengineering and  say a little more why I do in:

Stefan Skrimshire's  just published  Future Ethics, Climate Change and Apocalyptic Imagination (London and New York: Continuum, 2010)
- ŒThe Apocalyptic as Contemporary Dialectic: From Thanatos (Violence) to Eros (Transformation),š  59-80.

that's the plug for me, and the others of us from the Crisis Forum network (Stefan and Alastair) who are in the book.

But otherwise, I think we all need to be sensitive and respectful of each other, given that we do NOT all agree on 'solutions' or indeed even (dread as the implication may be) that there have to be "solutions". It may be , of course that those solutions will be mandated  and carried through whether I and others like it not -( that of course, is my point...it will be the military-industrial-security apparatuses of the hegemonic power-centres in the world today which will be the drivers...) but this remains for the future.  So long as CF is CF and not an arm of the powerful state or corporate sector, we will need to argue these things as autonomous, free-thinking individuals....

go well,
mark