  From: Chris Keene
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:54 AM
  Subject: Fwd: [CCG] A silver lining in the "Rare earth as political pawn" cloud

  -------- Original Message -------- Subject:  [CCG] A silver lining in the "Rare earth as political pawn" cloud
        Date:  Sat, 23 Oct 2010 01:26:32 -0000
        From:  Thecanadianone <[log in to unmask]>
        To:  [log in to unmask]

  Earlier today, i passed along an article about how China is, and is likely to continue to use rare earth metals (like rubidium and irridium) as an economic and political tool to help it achieve its various goals.  Like almost all problems, this one brings with it "Silver linings" - which include an added incentive to step up research into ways of achieving equal or better (and cheaper!!) results by using materials which don't involved metals at all, let alone those of the "rare earth" variety.  The rapidly emerging field of plastic conductors is an excellent example: