The most puny great ape of them all, homo sapiens, became lord of all, not just because of our superior brain but because we developed the instincts to act tribally when push came to shove.

Individualism versus tribalism, that's what it's all about. And the tribalists have got to win even though those who appeal to individualism are currently well ahead of the game.

Brian

On 17 Oct 2010, at 08:46, Barker, Tom wrote:

Yes, of course. I place altruism above fear myself, and I assume that you do (but I place action before either), but if we are waiting for altruism to save us, we will wait until the end of or lives without noticing any change. Speak to ordinary people (by which I mean those not immediately concerned with or knowledgable about environmental matters) about altruism, and they will say, 'you do it then'.  If you have chosen altruism to save species and society, I wish you the best of luck; it is a noble motive. Just don't expect to get anywhere. We evolved as 'me first' species and, indeed, individuals. It is in our genes, and no amount of persuasion is going to change that.

From: Brian Orr [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 October 2010 10:42
To: Barker, Tom
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: MOTHS, GREENS AND CORPORATE NEON

Tom,

"How are we going to get them to even notice us?"

As fundamental question as one could pose re: the challenge of climate change.

Who are the 'we' and the 'them'?

If it was the CEO and his advertising advisers and their consumers the question would
be one they address every week. Answer: shout more loudly or subtlety or both. And
the basic technique would be either tapping into the fundamentals of the human psyche -
status, sex, mother-love, gratification, fear. And in the process build up a raft of values that
aid the selling of the product. "Because you're worth it!"

Unfortunately the only one we can clearly play on is 'fear'. And that can clearly become a turn-off.

But we do have a form of 'gratification' to sell, even though it's clearly going to be up-hill all the way.
It's the form of gratification we call 'altruism'. I'm inclined to think it should be placed above 'fear'
in our limited armoury.

Brian Orr