Forumers:

I admire George Monbiot's sensitivity to the pulses on analysis and the contours of the ongoing debate about how the human species is faring in dealing with the vast challenges we face.

Today he has written about the subject that preoccupies many on this list: the why, how and what of personal and social change in societies bound within an environment, both locally and globally, under grave threat, and now in a process of constant change. Tom Crompton’s report is an innovative and incredibly useful analysis of the social belief structures, which now so complicate any efforts to change individual and social behaviour towards greater sustainability.

We need his kind of depth and insight in order to grasp the scale of the challenge, a kind of Social Sciences IPPC, dedicated to the human, social, ethical, psychological dimensions, that all need to be integrated when facing challenges like biodiversity loss, peak-oil and climate change.

My point here is that I believe that Tom has covered ground that was first tilled by Tim O'Riordan, my professor years back at UEA, when he proposed (see page 224 of this link; or for the full original 1981 framework, see page 16 of this link) that world views towards the environment could be classed along an axis from Ecocentrism (eloquently defended as a philosophical position by Robyn Eckersley) to the opposing end of the scale, Technocentrism.

This is a point I have not yet seen clearly made yet.  Attitudes to climate change right along the “alarmist warmist” to “denialist” spectrum, clearly map fully onto the paradigms that O’Riordan defined back in the 1980s. Yet I can see no reference to O’Riordan’s framework in Tom’s work, a cross-over area of social science research that could pay dividends in additional explanatory mileage, as to why the gulf is quite so deep between one end of the climate change social debate, and the other.

My BSc thesis back in 1983 was a description of the gulf in world-views between the activists and thinkers of the Chipko ‘tree-hugger’ movement active in the Uttarkhand Himalayas in the late 1970s. I showed how, right at the outset of what is now called ‘community forestry’, O’Riordan’s analytical framework provided great explanatory power for why conflict over forest resources in India arose due to opposing world-views, as typified by the eco-activist Sunderlal Bahuguna on one extreme, and the Indian Forest Department, still tainted then by colonial attitudes, that had led to progressive encroachment by the State on the rights and privileges of the people to forest resources. I was also able to show how tension between two streams of the Chipko Movement (an ecological world-view, as opposed to an eco-development model) mapped onto O’Riordan’s suggested division within ecocentrism between ‘deep ecologists’ and ‘self-reliance soft-technologists’.

Faced by threats, to rephrase Monbiot on Crompton's report, people DO NOT make rational decisions by assessing facts. It is wrong to assume that all that has to be done to persuade people is to lay out the data, and they will then use it to decide which options best support their interests, when a host of psychological experiments demonstrates that it doesn't work like this.

Perhaps injecting further psychological insight around memetics and the contagiousness of memes can add even more depth to  analysis of the impacts of the human species within planetary bounds. Avatar as a film, showed dramatically and convincingly our species as a potential invader of any resource-rich Pandora out there, ready for our rape.

See Susan Blackmore’s TED podcast here, where she draws on her New Scientist argument ( reproduced here) that ‘memes are  the basis of cultural evolution... what we are now seeing, in a vast technological explosion, is the birth of a third evolutionary process. We are Earth's Pandoran species, yet we are blissfully oblivious to what we have let out of the box. This might sound apocalyptic, but it is how the world looks when we realise that Darwin's principle of evolution by natural selection need not apply just to biology.....

As noted here, Blackmore asserts that these new digital replicators are driving the emergence of something entirely new... for now humanity and this new entity exist in a symbiotic relationship, but that may not always be the case: Billions of years ago, free-living bacteria are thought to have become incorporated into living cells as energy-providing mitochondria. Both sides benefited from the deal. Perhaps the same is happening to us now. The growing web of machines we let loose needs us to run the power stations, build the factories that make the computers, and repair things when they go wrong - and will do for some time yet. In return we get entertainment, tedious tasks done for us, facts at the click of a mouse and as much communication as we can ask for. It's a deal we are not likely to turn down. Yet this shift to a new replicator may be a dangerous tipping point.

Our ancestors could have killed themselves off with their large brains and dangerous memes, but they pulled through. This time the danger is to the whole planet. Gadgets like phones and PCs are already using 15 per cent of household power and rising; the web is using over 5 per cent of the world's entire power and rising. We blame ourselves for climate change and resource depletion, but perhaps we should blame this new evolutionary process that is greedy, selfish and utterly blind to the consequences of its own expansion. We at least have the advantage that we can understand what is happening. That must be the first step towards working out what, if anything, to do about it.....
These are the ‘techno-memes’ or ‘ temes’ recently proposed by Blackmore, taking us and the planet over.

I would further argue is that it is the pre-existing ‘technocentrism’ as the values-system of the individual within their social group, embedded as we are in industrial culture, that predisposes our denial of climate change. Take Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, or Ryan Air's, Senator Inhofe or Michael O'Leary. These fully-convinced denialists are infected by a “meme-plex” that is as virulently integrated into their value system, and as well-defended, as the belief system of a born-again evangelical. This was Richard Dawkin’s original insight, interestingly discussed here.

Is it not the case that the main activity of the denialist community is to 'spread the message'; via endless repetition in all media of little viral packages of pseudo-arguments, that despite endless rebuttal and refutation, spread and spread, and wiggle themselves into modern consciousness?

An on the opposite side, just a few days ago, we saw how fully a group can embed itself into their shared paradigm. This was glaringly evident in the debacle over 10:10's attempted launch of a viral meme via a blood-splattering video that back-fired spectacularly, confirming as it does, the techno-centrist misconception that ecocentrics or environmentalists hate humans, and are therefore eco-fascists. There is little doubt how widely spread this sad counter-meme will become, by the likes of Fox News, Heartlanders and all friends of the US Senate. See Climate Safety’s take on what happened.

But where we really are now I think, as a species, was well-expressed by Aaran Stibbe’s contribution to the 3rd Future Ethics Workshop, when he spoke about how apt the medical metaphor is for the situation we find ourselves in as a species, where it is this patient’s, and this planet’s, ‘life’ that is now at stake.

Oliver Tickell thought hard and long through the issues to conclude that Kyoto2 was the logical best option - radical surgery. Quite right, but quite impossible, in the mad scrabble for our energy fix: even now the Canadians, Greenlanders, Norwegians and Russians ready themselves to dive under the ice free Arctic for more of the black stuff.

So we are on a scuppered planet, each one of us a member of a species, watching individually our long-term collective demise. It's happening slowly by the rapid ticking of the biological clock of each of our single lives, yet will certainly blight our children's futures even in these cooler climates, just as it makes any remaining hope for the emancipation of the rest of our species out of poverty an impossibility. The MDGs maybe never were going to be met, and now never will.

For those attending the coming weekend’s event at the Institute of Psychoanalysis, these issues come to the fore.

Kind regards,

Mark Kowal

ClimAdaptAbility - support to livelihoods and management of natural resources under climate change risks
Skype ID: tmkowal Web: www.linkedin.com/in/tmkowal

The Values of Everything

October 11, 2010 By George Monbiot.

Progressive causes are failing: here’s how they could be turned around

So here we are, forming an orderly queue at the slaughterhouse gate. The punishment of the poor for the errors of the rich, the abandonment of universalism, the dismantling of the shelter the state provides: apart from a few small protests, none of this has yet brought us out fighting.

The acceptance of policies which counteract our interests is the pervasive mystery of the 21st Century. In the United States, blue-collar workers angrily demand that they be left without healthcare, and insist that millionaires should pay less tax. In the UK we appear ready to abandon the social progress for which our ancestors risked their lives with barely a mutter of protest. What has happened to us?

The answer, I think, is provided by the most interesting report I have read this year. Common Cause, written by Tom Crompton of the environment group WWF, examines a series of fascinating recent advances in the field of psychology(1). It offers, I believe, a remedy to the blight which now afflicts every good cause from welfare to climate change.

Progressives, he shows, have been suckers for a myth of human cognition he labels the Enlightenment model. This holds that people make rational decisions by assessing facts. All that has to be done to persuade people is to lay out the data: they will then use it to decide which options best support their interests and desires.

A host of psychological experiments demonstrates that it doesn’t work like this. Instead of performing a rational cost-benefit analysis, we accept information which confirms our identity and values, and reject information that conflicts with them. We mould our thinking around our social identity, protecting it from serious challenge. Confronting people with inconvenient facts is likely only to harden their resistance to change.

Our social identity is shaped by values which psychologists classify as either extrinsic or intrinsic. Extrinsic values concern status and self-advancement. People with a strong set of extrinsic values fixate on how others see them. They cherish financial success, image and fame. Intrinsic values concern relationships with friends, family and community, and self-acceptance. Those who have a strong set of intrinsic values are not dependent on praise or rewards from other people. They have beliefs which transcend their self-interest.

Few people are all-extrinsic or all-intrinsic. Our social identity is formed by a mixture of values. But psychological tests in nearly 70 countries show that values cluster together in remarkably consistent patterns. Those who strongly value financial success, for example, have less empathy, stronger manipulative tendencies, a stronger attraction to hierarchy and inequality, stronger prejudices towards strangers and less concern about human rights and the environment. Those who have a strong sense of self-acceptance have more empathy and a greater concern about human rights, social justice and the environment. These values suppress each other: the stronger someone’s extrinsic aspirations, the weaker his or her intrinsic goals.

We are not born with our values. They are shaped by the social environment. By changing our perception of what is normal and acceptable, politics alters our minds as much as our circumstances. Free, universal health provision, for example, tends to reinforce intrinsic values. Shutting the poor out of healthcare normalises inequality, reinforcing extrinsic values. The sharp rightward shift which began with Margaret Thatcher and persisted under Blair and Brown, all of whose governments emphasised the virtues of competition, the market and financial success, has changed our values. The British Social Attitudes survey, for example, shows a sharp fall over this period in public support for policies which redistribute wealth and opportunity(2).

This shift has been reinforced by advertising and the media. The media’s fascination with power politics, its rich lists, its catalogues of the 100 most powerful, influential, intelligent or beautiful people, its obsessive promotion of celebrity, fashion, fast cars, expensive holidays: all these inculcate extrinsic values. By generating feelings of insecurity and inadequacy - which means reducing self-acceptance - they also suppress intrinsic goals.

Advertisers, who employ large numbers of psychologists, are well aware of this. Crompton quotes Guy Murphy, global planning director for the marketing company JWT. Marketers, Murphy says, “should see themselves as trying to manipulate culture; being social engineers, not brand managers; manipulating cultural forces, not brand impressions”(3). The more they foster extrinsic values, the easier it is to sell their products.

Rightwing politicians have also, instinctively, understood the importance of values in changing the political map. Margaret Thatcher famously remarked that “economics are the method; the object is to change the heart and soul.”(4) Conservatives in the United States generally avoid debating facts and figures. Instead they frame issues in ways that both appeal to and reinforce extrinsic values. Every year, through mechanisms that are rarely visible and seldom discussed, the space in which progressive ideas can flourish shrinks a little more. The progressive response to this trend has been disastrous.

Instead of confronting the shift in values, we have sought to adapt to it. Once-progressive political parties have tried to appease altered public attitudes: think of all those New Labour appeals to Middle England, which was often just a code for self-interest. In doing so they endorse and legitimise extrinsic values. Many greens and social justice campaigners have also tried to reach people by appealing to self-interest: explaining how, for example, relieving poverty in the developing world will build a market for British products, or suggesting that, by buying a hybrid car, you can impress your friends and enhance your social status. This tactic also strengthens extrinsic values, making future campaigns even less likely to succeed. Green consumerism has been a catastrophic mistake.

Common Cause proposes a simple remedy: that we stop seeking to bury our values and instead explain and champion them. Progressive campaigners, it suggests, should help to foster an understanding of the psychology which informs political change and show how it has been manipulated. They should also come together to challenge forces – particularly the advertising industry – which make us insecure and selfish.

Ed Miliband appears to understands this need. He told the Labour conference that he “wants to change our society so that it values community and family, not just work” and “wants to change our foreign policy so that it’s always based on values, not just alliances … We must shed old thinking and stand up for those who believe there is more to life than the bottom line.”(5) But there’s a paradox here, which means that we cannot rely on politicians to drive these changes. Those who succeed in politics are, by definition, people who prioritise extrinsic values. Their ambition must supplant peace of mind, family life, friendship - even brotherly love.

So we must lead this shift ourselves. People with strong intrinsic values must cease to be embarrassed by them. We should argue for the policies we want not on the grounds of expediency but on the grounds that they are empathetic and kind; and against others on the grounds that they are selfish and cruel. In asserting our values we become the change we want to see.

www.monbiot.com