There is an issue here though, Black’s perception of himself as reporting ‘objectively’ (his term) on climate change. No one is objective on anything. We must bear in mind that uncertainty is in the eye of the beholder and (forgive me, I don’t have time to source the quote) we mustn’t forget the advisor to the Bush administration who said that if they can make uncertainty the defining feature of the climate change debate then they would have won. So to sit ‘objectively’ astride the uncertainty fence is to take a position, is to ignore how power operates.

And in the Schneider piece Black dismisses the fascist group and their theories of Jewish world dominance. Whilst I agree with Black on this point, I don’t do so from an ‘objective’ position but because of my beliefs. The same is true for Black.

Chris

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Oliver Tickell
Sent: 01 October 2010 12:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CCG] "warmist" crowd sometimes plays dirty also..... sigh!!

Re Chris's suggestion that we should all email Richard Black, Chris, you fail to say why you think we should do that or what we should say.

Would that be to praise him for his studious protest and objective reporting of complex environmental issues? Or to protest at the fact that he has written an article, reporting on what looks like some pretty sound research, indicating that the end of summer Arctic sea ice may not take place quite so soon as has previously been suggested?

Joe Romm's article looks to me motivated by personal belief and prejudice more than science. Richard Black is doing a good job of presenting the science accurately and intelligently. And that is surely what we need. There is more than enough hysterical ranting around as it is.

Oliver Tickell.