The 'Sensible Archaeology' thing is interesting - but misses the point of
The Van completely. We never intended it to be 'big' or 'clever' - and it
was set up specifically to generate discussion on the nature and purpose of
archaeology of all periods, not just the contemporary past. Given that the
project is still so widely cited, and the film so often viewed via The
Archaeology Channel (not to mention its use in HEIs around the world for
teaching) I think it was successful in this regard. It caused a stir, and
demonstrated that what makes archaeology great (and different) is its
diversity. It was also fun to do, and those who see the film are entertained
by it . and archaeology is supposed to be fun isn't it?

To my mind, archaeology is better, richer and more interesting for this
diversity. The latest issue of the University of York magazine, for example,
features at least four archaeology stories involving people who work on the
same corridor: compassion amongst Neanderthals, Star Carr, parish churches
and contemporary homelessness. The same could surely be said for many an
archaeology departmenty, as well as a number of agencies (including the one
I previously worked for) and commercial units. Not sure if it will be
accepted yet, but I have proposed a session for next year's IfA conference
on Imaginative Archaeologies - maybe I should start a Facebook group as
well!

Sensible indeed - I'd hate to be labelled 'sensible!

---------------------------------

Dr John Schofield MIfA FSA

Director of Studies, Cultural Heritage Management

University of York

Department of Archaeology

King's Manor

Exhibition Square

YORK YO1 7EP

Tel. 01904 323968

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/john-schofield/

http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

Docent in Cultural Heritage, Landscape and Archaeology of the Contemporary
Past

Department of Archaeology

University of Turku (Finland)