Please let me clarify that it is by no means my intention to be rude to
any referees, nor to round up alternative explanations for the extra
band. The only thing I am after is a "proper" reference for the
phenomenon of his-tagged proteins producing an extra band at slightly
higher apparent molecular weight.

I just unearthed a 2007 thread from the CCP4 archives where this very
subject appears to have been discussed already
(https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0711&L=CCP4BB&D=0&P=38996)
but unfortunately I didn't find any references to published literature
there either.

Seb.

--
Dr. Sebastiaan Werten