I have heard many times that it is a black eye to refine in a lower-symmetry spacegroup, but I could never really understand why. The higher symmetry could be considered merely a helpful theoretical lens to improve signal-to-noise, and therefore imposing higher symmetry on the data could be seen as a sort of *leniency* of scientific (or at least empiric) rigor. I think similarly about using discrete spot intensities rather than the whole image--we assume Bragg conditions and neglect certain things about the image between the spots, which is usually valid, but not always. I wonder why it is considered maladroit to refine in a lower spacegroup, then--don't higher spacegroup impose more assumptions than p1?

Jacob Keller

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">James Holton
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Regarding space group P1, P21

You pick the Rfree flags in the high-symmetry space group, and then use "CAD" with "OUTLIM SPACE P1" to symmetry-expand them to P1 (or whatever you like).

Things get trickier, however, when your NCS is close to, (bot not exactly) crystallographic (NECS?).  Or if you are simply not sure.  The best way I can think of to deal with this situation is to "road test" your Rfree:
1) do something that you know is "wrong", like delete a helix, or put some side chains in the wrong place
2) refine with NCS turned on
3) check that Rfree actually goes up
4) un-do the "wrong" things
5) refine again
6) check that Rfree actually goes down
7) try again with NCS turned off

Remembering these timeless words of wisdom: "Control, Control, you must learn CONTROL!" -Yoda (Jedi Master)

-James Holton
MAD Scientist