Good evening citizens and non-citizens,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 08:21:19AM -0700, William G. Scott wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Ed Pozharski wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 08:41 +0200, Tim Gruene wrote:
> >> This sounds as though you are saying that a single photon interacts
> >> with several
> >> electrons to give rise to a reflection.
> >
> > Not only with several - it shouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say
> > that the photon senses all the electrons in the Universe as it travels
> > between the source and detector.  Once it hits detector, it's trajectory
> > magically collapses into a specific one.  Quantum physics is undeniably
> > crazy stuff :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ed.
>
> Less ephemerally, the photon scatters from every scattering center in the
> crystal lattice. Under these (incoherent scattering) experimental conditions,
> it is my understanding that the individual photon only interferes with itself.
I would like to understand how the notion of a photon being scattered from all
electrons in the crystal lattice explains the observation that radiation damage
is localised to the size of the beam so that we can move the crystal along and
shoot a different location.

> The "quantum weirdness" creeps in from the fact that the wave describing the
> scattering is spherically symmetric, sampled by the reciprocal lattice.  But if a
> photon is a particle, and you were to do a single photon experiment, the particle
> of light can only wind up in one of the diffraction spot locations, but the diffracted
> wave determines the propensity of the photon to wind up in that location. It is
> basically the generalization of the single photon double-split "paradox."
The double slit paradox is actually not a paradox, and a single photon is not
scattered by both slits: if you reduce the light intensity so that you really
detect single photons, you observe that each photon decides on exactly one slit
that it goes through. It is only the sum of many photons that create the typical
pattering of the double slit experiment.
The photon knows it is both wave and particle, but depending on the experiment
we carry out we observe only one of the two phenomena, but never both. That's
also the idea behing Schroedinger's cat.

Cheers, Tim

> I've found the headaches start to go away if you don't take the "duality" part of
> wave-particle duality too seriously.
>
> -- Bill

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie