Could anybody tell me how to detect the concentration of detergent?
From Butler et al. (2004) J Mol Biol 340: 797-808

The concentration of DDM was determined by a colorimetric assay that detects the sugar component of the detergent, which has given results identical with the standard procedure using radioactive DDM (T. Warne, unpublished data). A 60 μl sample containing 4–16 μg of detergent was mixed briefly with 300 μl of 5% (w/v) phenol and then 720 μl of concentrated sulphuric acid was added followed immediately by vortex mixing for five seconds. The samples were left to cool for 30 minutes and then the absorbance at 490 nm was measured. A typical standard curve contained six samples containing between 0 μg and 20 μg of DDM, which gave a straight line (r2>0.97).

HTH,

Owen