On 10-10-29 12:03 AM, Robbie Joosten wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Hi Bart,

I agree with the building strategy you propose, but at some point it stops helping and a bit more attention to detail is needed. Reciprocal space refinement doesn't seem to do the fine details. It always surprises me how much atoms still move when you real-space refine a refined model, especially the waters. I admit this is not a fair comparison.
Does the water move back to its old position if you follow up the real-space refinement with more reciprocal refinement. If so, the map may not have been a true representation of reality. Basically what I was implying is that if the required model changes "details" are such that they fall within the radius of convergence then the atoms should move to their correct positions; unless something is keeping them from moving such as an incorrectly placed side chain that causes a steric conflict. Fix the incorrect side chain and your "details" will take care of themselves. I don't imply that I can always spot an easy error to fix and sometimes end up rebuilding several different ways in the hopes that one will resolve whatever was the problem. If that doesn't happen at some point you need to give up, especially if it does not affect a functionally important region. I do think it is good practice to point out regions in the model that are problematic and have never had reviewers complain about that if it is clear you made the effort to get it as good as possible given the data.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">High resolution data helps, but better data makes it tempting to put too little effort in optimising the model. I've seen some horribly obvious errors in hi-res models (more than 10 sigma difference density peaks for misplaced side chains). At the same time there are quite a lot of low-res models that are exceptionally good.
Can't blame the data for that, in the end each person (and supervisor) need to take responsibility for the models they produce and deposit. Same applies to sequence data bases that are full of lazy errors. If humans are involved both greatness and stupidy are likely outcomes.

Bart
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Cheers,
Robbie